The House of Artists in Milan was founded in 1909 on the initiative of the Bogani brothers, patrons in love with art, to host workshops and ateliers. Since the early years sees an intense attendance of artists from various disciplines. After the alternating historical events of the first half of the twentieth century, after the Second World War, the artistic activity in the House - which in the meantime became the property of the City of Milan - resumed.
At the end of the 1970s, the presence of internationally renowned artists such as Luciano Fabro, Hidetoshi Nagasawa and the art critic and historian Jole De Sanna gave new artistic impetus, with group exhibitions dedicated to young emerging artists, relations with other non-profit spaces in the city and the restoration of Giorgio De Chirico's Mysterious Baths in 1994.
Since 1988 a part of the ground floor has been occupied by Csoa Garibaldi, while in other spaces groups of artists, craftsmen and luthiers continue to operate. In 2007 the House of Artists was evacuated and then made safe due to the precarious structural conditions in which it was located.
Casa degli Artisti reopens today - 110 years after its birth - to confirm its nature as a public good, precious for the city and the artistic world and to give life to a centre of residence, production and enjoyment open to the city.
A place of meeting, reflection and creation with an interdisciplinary and international perspective that wants to put study and work at the center of its activity, supporting the practice of artists in the visual, performing, sound, digital, applied arts, cinema, photography, literature and thought. A place to promote research, training and production; to develop the personal and choral dimension of work; to produce cultural projects aimed at the widest possible audience. A place that works on the public sphere and urban space, thanks also to the exchange between the different actors of art, society and business.